Sunday, April 18, 2010

We Don't Need Another Hiro

Dewey Defeats Zeus
I'll begin today with something that I have scarcely ever found it necessary to do: print a retraction. Apparently I should have seen the newly released "Clash of the Titans" prior to my April 11th blog. The subjects of both that movie and my newly released "In Orders We Trust" video relate to the gods of Ancient Greece. I first announced in my August 22, 2009 blog that I was making my May 2006 "In Orders We Trust" comedy sketch into a video, and seem to have complicated matters by releasing my video around the same time as that movie's release. Therefore, as the result of what must have been a coincidence (how could it have been otherwise?), my drawing of a parallel in my April 11th blog between SNL's photo-shopped image of Michael Steele with a posted thumbnail showing the image of a Zeus statue accompanying my posted video was erroneous. SNL was referring to the way a Zeus statue depicted the Greek god in "Clash of the Titans", and therefore they could not have known the misinterpretation this might generate.

It's All Partly Greek and Partly Steinhoff To Me
I went to see "Clash of the Titans" in part out of recognition of the possibility that it might include something or another in relation to my above-referenced May 2006 comedy sketch. Many, many, many movies include Steinhoff references, and as their subject connected with one I also worked on, there was a greater likelihood that this would be the case. And pending a review of the original "Clash of the Titans" movie from the '80s (which may be the origin of more things in this new movie than what I recall from the last time I saw it), there were in fact one or two things I observed that may come back to my May 2006 comedy sketch (posted on my website when created, and at archive.org in August 2009; the video posted April 7, 2010):
  • Both "Clash" ("Clash of the Titans" 2010) and "In Orders We Trust" have a lead character insisting another character perform an action by shouting, "Do it!" (I was also struck by the similarity in the exact intonation, however they could only have known my intonation by tapping into my computer prior to my video's release, and so the intonation must have been a coincidence (how could it have been otherwise?).
  • Both "Clash" and "Orders" have Zeus' use of the word "truce".
  • "Clash" made at least one overt reference to "Avatar" - the idea of someone learning that the flying animal they would ride had never been ridden before. As described / demonstrated in previous blogs (particularly Feb. 21, 2010), a significant connection between my blue-skinned alien movie ("Gosk") and "Avatar" is the little white flakes floating around. Therefore, the black dust in "Clash" could possibly be in connection with that connection.
From Ancient Greece To Modern Smallville
In my immediately preceding (April 11th) blog I mentioned (as I have also done in earlier blogs) how inside-references to my material on episodes of "Smallville" have connected with inside-references to my material on episodes of "Medium" aired the same night. On April 11th I specifically referred to an earlier episode of "Medium" making inside-reference to one of my few music videos, "Another Good Answer", and I alluded (without being specific) that the ending of the April 9th "Smallville" episode made another inside-reference. The thing I was drawing attention to, though hard to appreciate if not seen in the context of cumulative moments, was the fact that this "Smallville" episode ended with the words, "New Game", which is also the title of another one of my few music videos. In this context, I bring you this excerpt from the April 16th "Smallville":



This fits into the context of my above-referenced music video, "Another Good Answer", where a recurring lyric is, "How much of an answer do you want."

Don't Insult The Messenger
I'll let this one speak for itself:



You Say Wordy And I Say Goodbye
Back in the days when McCartney (let's not leave out Lennon, though it involves using more words) were doing funny connections between the A and B sides of their 45 single releases, such as "She's A Woman" saying, "My love don't bring me presents" and the flipside's "I Feel Fine" saying, "Her baby buys her things you know", I think there was one we missed: Lennon (let's not leave out McCartney, though it involves using more words), with "Paperback Writer", says, "It's a thousand pages, will you take a look?", while the flipside's "Rain" says, "The weather's fine." The phrase, "the weather's fine" is part of weather conversation, which is the essence of brief, non-thousand pages conversation. Up until, "Rain", discussion of the weather was as non-thousand pages as you could get. We're looking at elaborating, over-elaborating, confining ourselves to small talk. By the way, I consider myself to have been an influence on all four of these Beatles songs (let's not leave out Harrison and Starr).

Oh Yeah
In the spirit of my references to Maggie Gyllenhaal (see my January 10th and 16th blogs), it recently became time once again for me to look through the words of a "The Daily Show" guest for my verification that a secret message from me to Stuart Cornfeld had reached someone. And sure enough, out of the mouths of Tracy Morgan.

My belief that I received verification is not based on any information that I have made available to my readers, there is nothing for you to put together and say, "so that's why Steinhoff says this". Yes, they did bring up on that show the whole idea of making a point of not going to see someone's work, which connects to when I blogged my opinion that Jon Stewart's lawyer seemed to have told him to come as close as possible to viewing my "Orders" video without actually viewing it, that Stewart seemed to have been told he should make a point of not seeing that work. And yes, Morgan nicknamed Stewart "Beef Stew", and Stewart bemoaned being tagged with that, while "Orders" has people having phrases painted on each other. However, these were NOT factors in my surmisal that my secret message had been read by someone.

And while Spielberg's on the phone to Cornfeld, and Cornfeld's on the phone to Stewart, and Stewart's on the phone to Morgan, and Morgan's on the phone to Fey, and Fey's on the phone to Baldwin, and Baldwin's on the phone to McCartney, I must ask that the Iranian President, to whom I have referred in my past several blogs, please stay out of it. Do you have any idea what a sticky situation is?

No comments: